Friday, May 05, 2006

I found an OPK cheapie

Some of you may remember that during one of my cycles I bought ovulation predictor strips from babyhopes.com. I bought a pack of 20 or 25 and I thought I had used them all (when you don't ovulate until day 34 this is easy to do). I was really unhappy with them.

They didn't work for me at all. I had all the signs of ovulation, but the cheap OPK's were still negative. I ran to Walmart and bought a pack of the Answer midstream OPK's and took one and it was positive. I dipped a cheapy and an Answer brand in the same pee, and the cheapy was negative and the Answer was positive. I repeated this test 3 times over the course of my LH surge and the cheapies were negative each time. My temp charts showed ovulation and agreed with the Answer brand OPK's.

I said all that to say, that I think the internet cheapie OPK's from babyhopes.com are crap. Anyways, now back to the point of this post....

Knowing that LH (the hormone that surges just prior to ovulation) and that hCG (pregnancy hormone that home pregnancy tests use) are very similar in structure, and reading that OPK will usually register positive when you are pregnant because of the hCG, I decided to use the found cheapie last night. I wanted to see if the crappy test would indeed register positive when I know it should because my hormone levels should be exponentially higher than necessary to trigger the test at over 7 weeks pregnant.

And the results were very positive. The test line appeared a very deep plum before the control line even came up. The test line was much, much darker a shade than the control line. I also discovered that the pee on a stick obsession still lurks within me. The little experiments are just so much fun. Oh and there are people out there more obsessed with these science projects than I am. Don't believe me? - See http://www.peeonastick.com .

I stand by my conclusion that the babyhopes.com OPK are crap, but at least now I've seen they can read a positive result.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krista you little detective!! I love it! I will never use those cheap things!! I love my Answer brand!!

Have a great weekend!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

krista - you are insane. heh. (okay, maybe not - i have a baggie with like 12+ BFP hpt in them from allison's conception)