Thursday, April 06, 2006

Oh how our bodies play mind games

The one week wait is a terrible thing. You reach the point where you are convinced it hasn't happened for you and you feel no different than in any other failed cycle. You tell yourself its over and prepare for the witch to show. You make peace with this and start to plan out the next cycle's strategy.

Out of nowhere little things happen to make you rethink the dismal attitude of defeat though. You stand up and get a slightly lightheaded feeling. You get a strange headache. Your nipples feel kind of crawly and perk up while you are just sitting there doing nothing. You get a strange urge to pick up McDonald's for breakfast when you usually don't eat breakfast at all. You resist the urge, but this happens two days in a row. Things like this happen and you begin to think, "Whoa. What was that? Have I had that before?... I think I have.... I don't know if I have.... Maybe that's new....No. I'm kidding myself.... Surely I've had that happen before."

It's like your body learned from the great masters of mental torturers. Somehow it knows just when and just what to do to throw you for a loop. Stop the insanity! One thing I'm really looking forward to after we have children is not feeling the obsessive need to analyze and re-analyze every little twinge, every little feeling, every fertility sign any more. Let me tell you this crap is getting old.

No comments: