Monday, April 03, 2006

Definitely not friend, but probably not foe either

So Fertile Four #2 is not a friend after all. I would not really call her a foe either, but definitely not a friend. A friend listens and remembers most of what their friends talk about during intimate conversations, or at least the headlines of such discussions. I feel like this woman has not paid attention to most of what I've said to her over the last 9 months at least.

We're all making small talk. The son is being really cute. #2 asks about how #3's son is doing (as their sons were born just a few weeks apart). I explain that it's been crazy for them since the DH/dad got chicken pox and was banished from the house for a few days. I get a questioning look and I explain that #3 is expecting again. She asks how far along. I think about it and I say "Well #4 (really I say her name obviously) is about 6 weeks, so #3 must be about 7 weeks."

"Oh #4 is pregnant too?"

I say "Yes and so is #1."

"Who's #1?"

"My best friend - you know I was in her wedding...." I've talked about her a number of times over the last 6 years that I've known #2 and I know her best friend's name. So this should have been my first clue that she does not listen to me.

"Wow. It must be in the water."

"What?"

"It must be in the water," she repeats.

"It's oviously not," I say gesturing towards my water glass.

"Oh you guys are trying again?" she asks all innocent like.

Now there is no question she does not listen to me. I clearly told her back in December we had missed our good days in November due to Roscoe's surgery (and she never has even asked how Roscoe is doing) and so we were taking a bit of a break until paying it off. A few weeks later we had paid it off, and I still had not ovulated. I told her we'd probably just get back to trying in January since it looked like it would be January before I ovulated. And sure enough it was. The whole month of December had nothing eventful, cycle-wise for me.

I explain to her that we only missed one chance because of that. She mentions that she thought we were waiting until after tax season. I said "No we've been trying this whole time." If the girl had a clue, she'd think about it and know that trying right after tax season would yield a baby born in tax season. Not that I'm going to avoid that anymore per se, but why would I plan to begin trying "again" at a time like that? Crazy. Totally illogical.

So now she realizes that I'm surrounded by preggos. "That would be hard," she says. "Um yeah." That's all I say back.

I then tell her that we actually have an appointment to start some testing in a few weeks. She's like "Why? It hasn't been a year yet, has it?"

"No, but as I've told you before, I have cycle problems."

"Well I know, but I thought they'd make you wait a year still."

"No. Actually my doctor really told me to come back a few months ago, but I was waiting until after tax season." Once again, we've covered this topic before. I told her all about my doctor appointment last August and how the doc had said with my late ovulation I'd likely need help, and to only give it 6 -7 months before returning. In one ear and out the other I guess.

"Oh." She goes on to ask me what they'd test for and what they could do about it. I give her very basic answers. I explained some things could be fixed and others not, but we'd have to start with testing to see if an issue(s) could be found. I know a month from now she won't care enough to remember what I've told her anyways. That pretty much ended the discussion on the topic.

We got out of there pretty quick after lunch. During lunch two people we (me, my DH and #2's DH) went to high school with came in. One with a baby and the other about 8 months along with a toddler in tow. The hostess who seated us was also quite pregnant. I had about all I could take for the afternoon by that point.

Sure it was insensitive for her to make the water comment, or at least I think so, but I'm really more irritated that she hasn't listened to me. She obviously has not really, truly cared about me or my feelings. I've honestly cared about anything personal that she has wanted to share with me. I've helped throw a baby shower for her. I've let her know I was there if she needed me. Yet this is what I get in return - not much at all. Kind of sad really. I've wasted a lot of time and effort on being her friend and it was all for nothing.

No comments: