Friday, October 10, 2008

One Fine Day

Last night my Dad was getting ready to go on a short fishing trip. We normally see him most Thursday night, as my mom works later on Thursday. B was asking for Papaw to come take a walk with us. I called him to see if he could, but he had a pizza in the oven and things to pack for his trip. He did ask if B would talk to him on the phone though. This is the conversation - surprisingly, it was quite like a real conversation.

Papaw: "Hi Brooklynn. How are you? How's my girl?"

B: "I fine." ---Did you get that? She responded appropriately with a phrase that no one has taught her that made sense!!! I'm so Proud!

Papaw: You're fine? That's great! Are you playing?"

B: "yes" She said while grunting as she was playing, but also pooping while talking to him. My daughter is a multitasker.

Papaw: "That's good. Did you eat dinner already? What did you eat?"

B: "Pasta and chicken." I swear she really said that. It sounded more like "asta and icken" but we both knew what she meant and my dad didn't know what she had eaten beforehand.

Papaw: "Have fun baby girl. I'll see you on Sunday. I love you!"

B: "Wuv you!"

She handed me back the phone and went on about her business like it was just a normal thing. My baby girl is so growing up way too fast. Her mind is constantly going and learning new things and it is so cool to observe. Each day brings new things and while part of my completely embraces that - looks forward to it even - part of me also hangs back, not wanting it to slip by just yet. This was a fine day, and yet one fine day just seconds from now and yet years away, this will all be but a memory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is truly amazing to watch them grow and develop each day. Kids are the greatest gift. I love those kinds of moments when you relize that you as a parent are doing a great job.