John had an allergic reaction yesterday right after eating some Eggplant Parmesan from Trader Joes. His throat began to swell up and itch and he was having trouble breathing. He drove himself to Urgent Care - a few minutes from our house - and they rushed him right in and said he should have called 911. They put a tube down his throat to keep his airway open and gave him two shots. Thankfully, soon after the shots, his symptoms faded and he was able to breathe normally. Surprisingly, they let him go home (with two prescriptions to take).
The doctor did tell him to go home and read the ingredients carefully and see if the eggplant is the only thing on the list that he had not eaten before, and if it was, that was likely the problem. The only way to know for sure, would be to see an allergist and have testing done. The doctor also advised John to call 911 if this ever happened again, that it could be worse the next time. Yikes.
I'm so glad he's okay. I just wish we knew for sure it was the eggplant. Rest assured, we'll not be eating anymore eggplant at our house though. We've never faced a serious food allergy before in the family. This is new for us.
Wednesday, October 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is so scary. I am so glad John is okay. I have never had anyone in my family with food allergies either.
geez that is freaking scary!! i practically have the shakes just reading it! I am so glad he is ok!!
Good lord. Eggplant? That's crazy!
OMG!! Glad John is okay, but he should have called 911! Men...
Post a Comment