I've been thinking a lot about bigger families lately. Partly because of my brother's news of a 5th child. Partly because of spending time with my BIL's family, as they also have 5 children, and partly because of media, namely TLC and some blogs I read. I saw another show on the Duggar family this week. They are expecting their 18th child. Whoa.
I have never been one to care how many children a person has, as long as they can support them and they treat them lovingly. I've always believed that it is a personal choice between the couple as they consider family size and what they are willing to do to prevent or achieve pregnancy within those constraints. Lately though, as I've heard/read more and more people say that they are not willing to use any birth control measures at all but are trusting in God to give them the number of children that is right for them, I became curious. Why? So I googled.
I found information on a "movement" called Quiverfull. The adherants generally believe that all birth control measures are wrong and are an attempt to override God's perfect timing and plans. These people generally are not Catholic either. There is even an organization that helps raise funds for people to have reverse sterilization surgeries for those that cannot afford it, but now believe in the Quiverfull doctrine and would like to make their reproductive systems whole again. How very interesting.
I think most of my readers know I believe in God. I don't usually share about my beliefs unless asked , generally speaking. You all know that I used birth control in the past, and I don't personally -in real life- know anyone in my generation who believes it is wrong. While I was reading about these beliefs, I have to say the verses supporting them are quite convincing. It is harder to argue the other viewpoint from a biblical standpoint. My first thought was - why would God give us the intelligence to have medical technology , most of which saves lives and promotes well being, if He didn't want us to use it. On the other hand, medical technology also offers things like abortion, and euthanasia (human) which inarguably go against scripture. I just don't know what to think, though I don't feel like I'm being disobedient to God by using birth control measures.
Aside from religious beliefs, there are other reasons people choose to have large families. Some people just like kids and big families. Others feel it is their duty to increase the population of their race or country (creepy if you ask me). Some people using the welfare system do it to get more money, sad to say. Other families use artificial reproductive technology and end up with high order multiples, conversely, some people have trouble finding a birth control method that works for them and so have more children than they might have otherwise.
I have to say, while I've never seen myself as someone who was destined to have a large family, as many people do, watching the shows on TLC focusing on these supersized families is interesting to me. The siblings really seem to enjoy eachother and they all pitch in to make the family work. Some of the moms even say it is harder to just have one or two kids because you have to do it all yourself. It obviously does not work for everyone- see all the kids in foster care, or people unable to make ends meet financially, and the parents who get overwhelmed facing emotional problems which leads to disturbing events. There are people out there who can and do thrive with large families though. And from what I can see on TV and what I read on their blogs, they love it and wouldn't have it anyother way.
I'm thankful that most of us have the option for small or large families, whether biological children, foster children or adopted children. If you can make room in your heart, home and budget, I say enjoy how ever many you want.
Thursday, October 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment