I was going to blog today about wearing socks and closed toe shoes today for the first time since mid-April today. How it was a chilly 35 degrees out this morning. How I hate to wear socks and shoes and wish I could get away with wearing sandals and going barefoot year-round. I was going to, but then I got some sad news.
My mom told me that they got a call late last night. My niece (who will be 9 on Thursday) lost a friend yesterday. By lost, I mean her friend died. A little girl, who I met a few times, just 8 or 9 years old, died unexpectedly. She had some heart problems related to a genetic defect, but had been doing so well these last several years. Her family had even made the 4 hour drive to visit with my brother's family 2 weeks ago.
I cannot fathom losing an 8 or 9 year old child. How awful for her parents. How sad for all those who loved her. I feel badly for them all. I'm worried about my niece too. Its not that she doesn't have people who love her where they now live - she does - but I just think her support system here is better. Poor girl. I cannot imagine facing that at 9 years old. I was 17 when my friend Josh died, and that was hard enough to deal with. Death is sobering. Having a peer your own age die also makes you think about your own mortality. Nine is so young.....
Monday, October 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment