Friday, October 02, 2009

Progress Update

Pottytraining.....such fun isn't it? Here's the scoop. B does really well at home - IF she is wearing either panties and no pants or is wearing a dress with nothing underneath at all. She has not had a single "accident" when doing that. On Sunday she was dry ALL day that way. Including a few short trips out of the house.

At my in-laws, it is a whole 'nother story. She will not pee in the potty for them. She will poop in the potty with no urging what-so-ever. She just goes in there, takes off her diaper, climbs on the potty and does her thing - all by herself and then yells for Pap to come help her. They report they ask her if she needs/wants to go potty and she tells them no. No amount of bribing has worked, they say. We used to try panties at their house, but I received complaints that she always peed and made messes, so I stopped and she wears pull-ups over there. (Yes I know, they don't really encourage potty training.)

I believe my in-laws, but I have to wonder just how hard they are really trying, since I have better success than they do. I have to wonder why the accidents over there in panties when I haven't seen that when she's with me. I feel like I'm trapped into a very inconsistent method of doing this, and thus are bound to fail (AKA take too long to get this done). Part of me wants to just put her in panties and let them deal. Part of me feels like a terrible daughter in law for wanting to do that. I can get on my knees and clean up things easily. They can't. I own my own home and mostly have fake wood laminate floors (easy to clean) and they have a rented home with carpet. I could scoop her up and race to the potty if need be. They can't.....you see my problem?

Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Annie said...

We're not having a lot of luck with PT-ing over here either so I am obviously no expert. But here's a possible suggestion. There are a ton of books out there (I know you're like me and love to read) about PT-ing in one day. I don't really buy it but it may be worth it to look in to those books and try it at home on a weekend - maybe even a long weekend so you have more time, because again, I don't think I buy the 'one day' theory. Maybe you can try one day at your house and then the 2nd or 3rd day at your in-laws so that B gets used to going on the potty over there but with YOU there to help guide her.

Good luck - what has helped us a little is starting pre-school. About 1/2 of Claire and Kate's class is PT-ed so I think they have a bit of a positive influence on them.