Friday, October 23, 2009

I'm back

I have many jumbled thoughts in my head, so it seems bullets are the best way to do this today.

- The Flights - The trip out there was fine. I didn't realize we wouldn't be sitting together, or I would have brought a book though. I had an aisle seat, and I I kept leaning forward to see out the windows. It was cool to see the Rocky mountains from the air. The trip backed sucked. Sucked bad. The flight left Vegas at 11:30pm PST, otherwise known as the red-eye. I was stuck in a middle seat between two men and I was cramped. It was also really hot. I didn't sleep at all even though I was exhausted. We arrived at Atlanta at around 6 in the morning EST. Then caught a connection to Dayton around 7:30.

- Keys - Upon landing, I found that John had lost his set of keys to my car, and my keys were IN the car. I rode to work with Kim and walked in my office around 9:30. I only made it until about 1pm when I was so tired, I was dizzy. My dad picked me up and took me home.

- Busy B - She did pretty good while I was gone. A bit crabby, and hardly ate, but she wasn't overly anxious about me being gone. She was off her normal routine, so its not surprising that she wasn't exactly herself. She was thrilled to see me when I went to get her after sleeping 2 and a half hours. I got lots of kisses and hugs.

- The conference - It was OK. Most of the classes were too basic for me and many others said the same thing. We don't plan this one though, so there was not much we could address about that. It was work, work, work. Lots of classes, lots of meetings and lots of setting things up. We got up early and stayed up late. We got lots of complaints about certain things as staff, which was annoying, because the other associations staff had planned this event.

- Vegas - I didn't get out much. One night Kim and I took a taxi down to the Bellagio and we walked around, ate dinner at Fix, walked over to Caesars, walked around there and then walked back to the Palms. It was nice in temperature, but super windy. The wind actually made my eyes hurt. On another night, we went to dinner at Ferraros with some of the board members. It was $700 for 5 people. Very good though. Other than that, I didn't leave the hotel/casino. I did one small stint at a slot machine just to appease the people who told me I should. My net loss was $1.00.

- My Boss - We had a difference of opinion on something. There is now tension that has never been there before. I put the conversation on hold. I just told her that she had hired me to bring financial and tax expertise to the to company and that is what I was trying to do. I am trying to learn about some new requirements and to do it right. (Most of us the industry are.) I asked some experts about it at the conference and both had the same opinion. Kim doesn't like it. I don't make the rules, I'm just trying to follow them. Then when we got back and I told her I was leaving early that I wasn't able to make it that long without sleep, we had some snide comments exchanged. I don't know if it is the tension, or just little sleep. I hope the latter. She is much like the managing partner at the old firm in that she works a ton and sleeps little and thinks everyone else can do it that way too.

- My blog - This is the 499th post. I still don't have questions from 5 of you, so I guess my idea for the 500th has to be scrapped. I'm not going to say I'm going to stop blogging, because I don't blog for you. I blog for me. I will say that I'm disappointed. All of those blogs I read and comment on, and then the same favor isn't returned. Sad.

4 comments:

Krista said...

well, I don't blog...but I have been trying to think of a question to ask you, and I can't think of one for the life of me!

Anyways...glad you made it back safe and that B survived without you :) I don't think I could leave my boys for that long, at least not for a few more years. I am thankful I don't have to.

GL getting those 5 questions...I am still trying to think of one for you :-)

Kaci said...

I'm so sorry! I'm way behind on blog reading but yours is always one of the first I check in on! So can I ask questions?

What's your favorite time of day? That time that if you could make it last just a few more minutes, you would.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?

What is your biggest regret?

Annie said...

Sorry about that! You know I read (even though I don't blog myself) - I just forgot to come back to ask you a question.

These don't seem all that interesting, but here goes...
What has been the most challenging aspect (so far) of being a parent?
What has given you the biggest joy?

jenny from Mommin' It Up said...

I am glad you're back! That sucks about the tension with your boss. Conflict give me HIVES! I''m VERY proud of you for only losing $1 too!!