I think my office-mate (most of our offices at the firm are set up to accomodate two people, so we call roomies "office-mates") might not plan on being here this time next year. Of course I hopefully won't be here either, but it still draws my curiosity.
Long-story, but she happened to mention that she plans on not using birth-control as soon as she gets married at the end of May. I run the numbers and think. I ask her if she realizes she'd be due during tax season if she was successful. She DID realize that. Now this girl has history of being a very fertile girl. She's 22. She's just starting out in her career and financially she needs to work. For an hourly employee without their CPA license, busy season is where you bring in the bucks at our firm. You can make nearly half of your annual wages in 3 months time.
Why in the world would any young CPA hopeful plan to give birth during the busiest time of the year for public accountants? Simply put, you wouldn't. Sure you might decide after months of TTCing to just keep trying. Sure an older woman might have that clock ticking. Health reasons may spur on others to make that choice, but for most public accountants, they would not choose to give birth smack dab in tax season.
Our firm does not have to abide by FMLA. I guarantee you the partners would not appreciate a recently hired staff accountant needing time off at that time of year - and they would not be legally required to keep her job open. When I was TTCing, I had paid some dues already. I had that on my side. She won't. She won't have her CPA certificate. She won't have several busy seasons under her belt. She won't have proven her worth beforehand. So naturally, this leads me to think either she's crazy, or she plans on finding a job outside of public accounting before then.
Keep going down this rabbit trail with me. If she plans on looking for another job, does she realize that even if FMLA applies to a company that might hire her, it would not apply to her, as one needs to have worked for a company for at least one year prior to being eligible for FMLA time off? Does she understand that?
She does not really seem to have a lot of common sense - I say that from what I know of her at this point - even prior to to this conversation we had. Part of me wonders if I should start dropping hints about things and see if she knows about those things. I don't want her to make a choice without being informed. If she knows all that and still wants to TTC on her honeymoon, that is her call of course. Part of me thinks I should just let it go....
It is none of my business. I know that. I can't stop the speculating though. It's my nature.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am LOL at you. I too think she is crazy. Even with 10 years under my belt I still planned both of mine around tax season. I also think she is crazy!!!
Well although I agree with you (obviously - you and I are so similar with our planning - that's how we first 'met'), I also have to LOL at you. I have realized that not everyone thinks ahead like I do. One of my good friends had just started a new job when she decided to TTC. If she had waited one more month, she would have been at her job for a year by the time the baby was born and would then have qualified for FMLA. But nope, she was caught up in the whole TTC thing and did it and of course, was successful right away. So she didn't get her FMLA. Sucked but that was her decision.
Your coworker is probably excited to be married and the possibility of having a baby right away - maybe she'll realize the repurcusions of that soon and wait a little longer.
Post a Comment