I know. I’m probably one of the last to try it. This week I’ve watched two shows on the internet at abc.com. You see when we had the DVR I just programmed it to record the new episodes of my favorite shows. I never had the need to watch a show online. When we gave up the cable, of course we had to return the DVR. I was quite sad. John assured me that many shows I like are available online – except for the ones I watch on TLC.
I have to say I’m impressed with the ABC online shows. The process is easy. HD streaming is available. The commercials last only 30 seconds. It took me at least 30 seconds of careful fast-forwarding to get through the 3 minute commercial spots with the DVR, so nothing lost there. The only thing missing for me is not using my big beautiful HDTV to watch it.
My main time to watch TV is when I’m folding laundry. I loved the DVR so much because I could actually save something that I actually wanted to watch and make my laundry time more fun. The DVR meant I no longer just watched whatever was on when I happened to find time to do laundry. I could actually watch something I enjoyed. Online shows will help me accomplish this same thing for free, though.
As for television in general, I have to mention that the picture quality on our HDTV with just using a $50 antenna from Radio Shack is fabulous. I think it looks even better than the HD channels looked on cable. We get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW and several PBS stations. We also get the FOX station from Cinci in addition to the Dayton station. I do admit, I’ll be missing my TLC and HGTV. I’ll live though.
My recent guilty pleasures:
Grey's Anatomy
Brothers & Sisters
Survivor
American Idol (somewhat - I watch performances, not the results shows)
Jon & Kate + Eight --now gone
17 Kids & Counting --now gone
Deliver Me -- now gone
I used to watch Lost. I'll have to tell you someday the story about why I don't watch it anymore. I also used to watch a lot of the Law & Order shows, but I got bored with them and don't have time to watch as much TV as I used to before B. That's a good thing, in reality.
What are you watching these days?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You are brave for giving up cable....even with our new budget/plan for getting out of debt in 3 years (except our house payment) thanks to reading "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. We won't give up DISH or the DVR. It's just not worth it to us since we stay home most nights, and we catch up on shows once Bryson goes to sleep.
I don't think I could give mine up. When I'm on a budget, I stay home and watch tv - hence the cable.
I'm excited for many showtime/hbo/foodtv/bravo shows.
I would have a hard time giving mine up - I watch WAY too much tv, it's what we do after the kids go to bed. No wonder my house is never clean.
Oh, I bet you can connect your tv to your pc as a monitor - then you can watch the online shows on your tv. We actually have a dvr on our pc but watch things on tv - and if there happen to be 2 sporting events that D wants to watch at the same time, well, one is on the pc and the other is on the tv.
Post a Comment