It is my plan to nurse B for the last time on Saturday. I have loved nursing (hated pumping that first year) and am very grateful that B and I were able to share this special bond for almost 2 years. A year ago, I would have never dreamed that my milk would hold up for so long. Nursing has been a wonderful time with very few negatives for me, and B obviously thrived on breastmilk as well.
While I have loved nursing, it is time to bring this part of our relationship to a close. Not because she's nearly two and not because I think I'm spoiling her. It's time because the milk is almost gone, B drinks plenty of cow's milk now, I'm ready to let go of this time, and I think B is as ready as she'll ever be too. I'm ready to be able to take medicine that works for sinus headaches. I'm ready for us to just cuddle and read as part of our bedtime routine. I'm ready to focus on other things, and once B gets over her initial upset of the old routine, I really think she'll embrace the new one.
I don't dare to think this will be an easy week. Busy B hasn't been easy for much of anything related to bedtime. I also know my DH, as much as I love him, has little patience, gets easily frustrated and quick tempered when dealing with a tantrum-throwing toddler. I know he'll want to give up and have me take care of her, but I really need him to do this for me. It's just one week. I think that if he puts her to bed for one week - and she goes for a week without nursing, that I'll be strong enough to keep it that way when our normal schedule resumes after our week off work.
So in short, I've enjoyed nursing. I'm glad we made it this far, and I conciously chose to continue nursing this long (provided B was still interested of course). I'm a bit sad about weaning, but I'm also looking forward to sharing other special times with B.
Wish me luck, strength and eardrums of steel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good luck. I think it is wonderful you've nursed her until now. Way to go! I hope your DH finds the patience to deal with it, because I know that will make it easier for you.
Thanks Kaci! Hope you guys have a great Holiday!
Post a Comment