***If you know me in real life, please keep this to yourself, as I'm not sure whether he's ready to tell people until his decision is made***
My DH is considering having the LapBand procedure. The band is not the same as gastric bypass (even still, there are several kinds of gastric bypass surgery). It is adjustable, reversable, carries less risk, and does not change how food goes through your intestines. It also tends to work more slowly and require more willpower to make lifestyle changes to keep weight coming off or to maintain a lower weight once achieved.
I am supportive of him, whatever he chooses. He has scheduled to attend an informational meeting with the surgical group on Friday, and hopefully will be able to adjust his work schedule to attend. He asked me if I wanted to go with him. I asked him if he wanted me to change the plans I've already made to go, and he said no.
John and I are both in need of losing weight. We both come from families where there aren't but one or two adult blood-relatives that have maintained their ideal weight. We are all overweight. We all struggle with it. There is a difference between my family and his family though. My family members tend to be overweight, but I'd say only two people are more than 100 pounds overweight. Most of us would need to lose 40 pounds or so. John's family has more relatives that are more than 100 pounds overweight than not. My family's "set point" for the weight we maintain is lower, or so it seems. We still need to lose. It is still hard to lose. We just have fewer complications with being overweight than his family does because the weight is lower.
I think this tool might be what John needs to help him. If he chooses it, I hope it does give him the boost he needs to make the necessary changes. Regardless, I also need to make changes. I really, really want to lose 25 pounds before trying to get pregnant next year- more would be great - but 25 is my goal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I know some people who have had it. It has worked really well for the ones who were willing to make the changes but were so frustrated with where they were that it was hard to change, but it hasn't worked for the ones who weren't willing to make the change. I am not sure if that makes sense, but basically I have seen that some people expected it to be a "miracle fix" and didn't follow through with the lifestyle changes. It hasn't worked for them.
Best of luck to him & to you. I know it's hard to START, but really once you start it is easier. You can do it!
Good luck to both of you.
Post a Comment