Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Shoes

I bought a pair of shoes at a garage sale about this time last year. They were fuschia pink, super cute, amazingly lightweight and looked brand new. They were a strange brand I had never heard of - Tsukihoshi. I paid 3 dollars for them and it was the best 3 bucks I ever spent. I looked them up online and learned they retailed for $53. I thought to myself, who would pay $53 for toddler shoes?

Those shoes washed up like new in the washer, air dried in like 4 hours and were just great shoes. B has a wide foot and these shoes accomodated her. The velco strap was on a hinge, so it stayed open when undone, which is nice for toddlers learning how to put their own shoes on. They kept her feet cool - and she has hot feet. We got a ton of compliments on those shoes.

Alas, one day the beloved shoes were too small. We tried other shoes. I got a pair of new balance kids tennies in wide width for her for $15, and they are nice, but they are heavier and don't breathe very well. With hot weather coming, I knew I was going to need to find her some different shoes. I kept pondering if should I spend $53 for shoes, but didn't mention it. Then out of the blue last week, John says "I know those one shoes we had were expensive, but they were so nice. Maybe we should just buy her some." That was the sign I needed.

I ordered some from zappos.com. Now the exact shoe we had, only goes up to size 7, but I ordered a similar model for the older kids. They aren't the fuschia color that was so fab, but they are a nice pink and still super cute. That same night, we went to a party and John's SIL's niece was wearing a pair just like the pair I ordered. I asked the girl's mom what she thought of them and she raved, just as I had.

She said, "I know they are pricier, but I can spend 50something on these, and they'll last a very long time and still look new and support her feet, or I can blow $20 bucks a pair 2-3 different times in the same time-frame. What's the difference?" Good point Lexie! Who would pay 53 bucks for toddler shoes? Me.

1 comment:

Reid said...

Nice tip on shoes (like Gracie needs any more of those!). I think I'll try EBay and see what I can find!
PS--I do read but don't always post a comment. Hope you're doing well!