Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Co-worker Pact

Welcome to the "My New Job Channel" -- all talk about my new job, all the time. Sorry. I'm sure you are getting bored with this right? I'm neurotic though and things tend to consume me when they are new in my life. Just give me a bit to work through it and settle in, will you?

Anywhos, I made a pact with a co-worker of mine. He and I promised that we would tell eachother if we were going to quit, before we give notice to the bosses. I fully intend to keep that promise, but how soon do I tell him? Chances are, he could very well end up with a pile of my work (that he does not want) when I leave. I trust him, but it is hard to keep a secret of that kind of magnitude, that could really affect you, for that long a time period. Do you know what I mean?

I don't plan to give my notice until April 17. That would mean my last day of work would be May 1, unless they give me the boot sooner, or convince me to stay an extra week or so, until a project is finished. Two weeks before the bosses know is a long time to keep my secret, and they may not let me tell the others until later than that. It seems the announcement is usually made that someone is leaving about a week before their exit. Oh, and I don't ever really want anyone to know that I told him beforehand. I learned - after the fact - that one guy knew another guy was leaving before he gave notice, but I can keep a secret and there are others who may or may not be able to. The co-worker I committed to also knows that piece of information and I don't think he's shared it with any "Talkers."

I've talked about very confidential things with this guy before, as has he with me. No problems that I know of. I just don't want to make trouble, in case I need future references. I do want to honor my promise though. I truly believe he'd do the same for me.

Opinions? Advice? Thoughts?

No comments: