Monday, September 29, 2008

I had to confirm a few details

My SIL is pregnant. You might be surprised. Many in the family are. I am not. I said I would be surprised if we didn't hear they were pregnant within 2 or 3 months of the move. I just knew there was no way she'd be closer to her family and 180 miles from our family without having at least one more kid.

During the move, certain things happened. She never moved anything. She complained of headaches. She looked puffy to me. My brother was in a terrible mood. She had told my cousin who is due 1/1/09 that she could have her crib and then had it packed and loaded on the moving truck without a word of why she was no longer giving it to her. SIL made it a point to tell my aunt, that she was only loaning her infant car seat to this cousin, and to remind her that she wanted it back. I began to wonder if she were already pregnant. I pushed the thought out of my mind. I said nothing.

It turns out she was indeed pregnant at that time and she knew it. They had not told any of the family. They didn't tell my parents until 3 weeks or so after they moved. So my parents have known for over a month. They were not allowed to tell anyone. I understand that. What I don't understand is how SIL's nosey best friend goes and tells a bunch of people at my parent's church - though my parents weren't allowed to tell anyone. I was the last to know in the whole family as far as I can tell. My brother called and told me yesterday. They are due in March - they are past the first tri. They play on facebook or myspace or something and I'm sure all of their friends on there knew it too. I'm chopped liver, of course.

You might recall how she kept trying to get my aunt to ask me if I was pregnant. How she told my niece to tell me that more than one car seat fit nicely in the back of my car...etc. That kind of threw me off of thinking she was pregnant. Now in hindsight. She might have been secretly hoping I was pregnant or soon would be (pretty typical child-spacing), so that she could then dampen my news with announcing her own pregnancy with an earlier due date. I bet this was exactly what was on her mind. Or perhaps, she was thinking if she got people looking at me to see if I was acting pregnant, they would not be suspicious of her.

John has a theory which is really good actually. He suspected that my brother also knew, but was surprised and a bit overwhelmed/angry, and that is partly why he acted like such a major jerk to everyone during the move. My mother assured me he was surprised. I'm sure he was, but I'm sure SIL was not. Had they just told people their news, everyone would have cut them a lot of slack. That may have been telling people earlier than her comfort level. She may just like to keep it a secret longer than most do, even from close family, just as a power play. I don't know.

You know what this means? We have a history of SIL going crazy on me and blaming me for the world of wrong against her about 6 months post-partum for her and at a major time in my life. If I were to get pregnant when I'd like to (who knows I may get lucky) then I'd be early in my pregnancy during that time. We'd be back in the same place we were, except they'd live 180 miles away.

I also have no doubt that if (I hope) we have another, unless my bro gets snipped, there will be #6 afterwards. I think she wants to have the youngest grandchild on each side. I will just fall over laughing if her sister has a third here soon. SIL will blow a gasket.

1 comment:

nancy said...

Ah-ha. (damn, i was hoping it was you)

But what a serious whack-a-doo. When you have another, SHE will have another JUST to one-up you?

Dude. She is more than insane. I'm sorry you aren't close to your neices/nephews, but THANK GOD she's 180 miles away. (even though that's 180 miles too close.)