Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fever went up last night

I know temps tend to be highest at night and lowest in the morning. Even still, when I awoke at 1:15 to a toddler who felt ungodly hot to the touch, I was alarmed a bit. I didn't even get a good read with the ear thermometer (the good one we got free for using during the MMRV study) because she was so upset and thrashing around. The poor read read 102. I'm sure the "real" temp was higher.

I tried to get her to take the invants advil, which she usually likes and it was a no-go. She gagged and it came right back out. So we sat down on the couch and I tried to call John on his cell. Then I heard the Jeep pull up. In walks John with Taco Bell. I see he has a drink from there in his hand. I do what any good mom of a toddler who is sick and won't settle enough to take her meds would do. "Do you want some pop, baby?" [Let me assure you that under normal circumstances, I do not offer my 21 month old soda - we don't even do juice.]

"Okay," she says quite pitifully.

I take his Dr. Pepper and give it to her and she tentatively takes several sips while hugging the cold, wet cup to her bare chest. She settles. I then offer the advil again and she willingly takes it. Before we went to bed at 2:30, her temp was down to 100.1 by ear.

This morning her ear temp was 98.9 but the rash is still there, so I stayed home again today. I called the pedi, and I suspected, they suggested it was viral and that I wait and see how she is tomorrow, unless she gets worse.

--Note to Annie --B already had Roseola, back in January. With Roseola, the rash comes after the fever breaks. This rash came before the fever got very high. Hope Claire feels better soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Baby B I hope you feel better soon. Hang in there Krista, I know that it is the worst thing in the world to have your Baby sick and you can't do anything to make them better.