Two nights in a row - making three in the last week - B has unlatched herself while still appering to be awake, rolling over and going to sleep. Can I hope that this will be a trend, that will lead to B weaning herself? Have I just jinxed things by saying that?
I know some of you are thinking -just wean her already. She'll get over it. I know she will, but I also know there is nothing wrong with extended breastfeeding and it can benefit the child. I like what I heard Dr. Ari Brown say in an interview. "Breastfeeding is a team effort. When one member of the team is ready to stop, it is time to wean." I have mixed feelings. On one hand I'm ready to wear a normal bra (even if it means buying new ones $$$$). On the other, I love the way B lights up when she's about to nurse. The lazy part of me also loves the non-confrontational way to put my poor sleeper to sleep. Not pretty - but honest - that last one.
Most days I only nurse her to sleep and once during the wee morning hours, very briefly. On days I'm home, I also nurse her before her nap. That's pretty much it. I was just hopeful for a gentle, very gradual weaning process. So far, it has been that, but I'm beginning to be ready to bring it to an end. If not sooner, I hope that we'll be able to end the process the week of Thanksgiving, when hopefully, John and I will both take the week off. (I say hopefully, because work may get in the way of those plans.) Then he could put her to bed and tend to her for those nights. I know it will be hard for him, but it would make it easier I think. I'd be ever so grateful if it didn't have to come down to that and she just let go on her own.
I've been pushing a healthy snack before bed more than I used to, so maybe that is helping with her letting go more quickly and easily these past few nights. We'll see. She has been drinking more whole milk too. Maybe too much actually, come to think of it. I could live with that, and then work on that issue, if that is what it takes I guess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment