Sunday, October 22, 2006

Adventures in baby furniture land

Friday afternoon, just before 5:00pm we received the call that our replacement 5-drawer chest we were waiting for had come in. Getting it Saturday was out, since that was the day of birthday party and we planned to be gone most of the day and moving baby furniture in during their party didn't seem to be a good idea. We couldn't get it Sunday because it's supposed to rain. So we rushed around to get my dad's truck, get the messed up dresser packed up and get down to Cinci before the store closed at 8:00pm.

It started before we even got out of Dayton. We had to stop through McD's drive through because I had to eat something or else risk getting sick. The wait was longer than normal for this location. It just seemed to take forever. Then I-75 south was majorly slow with a huge back-up due to an earlier accident. We began to wonder if we'd make it to the store before they closed, but decided to keep going. We made it at 10 minutes til 8:00. Just in time. I'm finishing up the paperwork with the sales clerk and John is around at the loading bay with their stockman. I hear him shout. "Kris, come here....you're not going to believe this!"

I walk back there and find that John had opened the packaging to check out the chest of drawers. While the drawer glides are now functioning properly, there is a split in the wood on one of the side panels. I thought for sure John was going to lose it. He managed to keep his cool reasonably well though. He and I decide we don't want to leave the store without a dresser. This was our third trip down there and we didn't want to make another run like this. So we go out and look at the floor model. The floor model is in perfect condition - not a scratch on it anywhere and all hardware is functioning properly. Upon closer examination, we realize it has better quality drawer glides in it than the 2 we had received. It has the same great glides that are in the dressing bureau we have at home. We wanted to take it.

The clerk calls the owner and can't get a hold of her, or the manager. I almost see John's blood pressure rise as I hear the clerk say "I'm really uncomfortable giving you the floor model without permission." We decide to unload the first messed up dresser still in the truck. As they finish getting it out, the owner calls. She apologizes profusely and gives us the floor model. Since the floor model is better quality than the two we had been sent, we were happy about that. Turns out that the store had to re-order 5 of these same dressers. Only this dresser - no other pieces manufactured by the same company. Obviously they switched to cheaper drawer glides and then also had difficulty packing these pieces properly to avoid shipping damages. Crazy.

So now we have all our nursery furniture. We also picked up the glider ottoman combo on Friday night. It looks great and I'm sitting in it now. We set it up in the living room because the baby's room is too small to comfortably put it in there, also I might want to watch TV while nursing or something. My grandmother finished the curtains that I had drawn up too. So I also got those on Friday. Yesterday morning, my mom and I hung the curtains and hardware. I also bought a small lamp for the changing table. Saturday afternoon John and I went shopping and bought the coming home outfit for Brooklynn. We also bought a little sweater and jean dress that I hope will fit her for her 3 month picture. It's so cute. Both outfits came from Children's Place and each piece was 50% off or more! I bought a little long-sleeved onesie and pants set at Baby Gap too because it was on clearance.

The other baby shower is this coming Saturday. After that we'll be all ready to buy the rest of what we need, get the clothes/bedding washed and put away, and put the last finishing touches on the room. We've done so much, and yet have so much left to do.

No comments: