Annie asked a question on my last post - will I seek any medical intervention to get pregnant. The question isn't too personal to address to this audience, with whom I already share much. While I'd rather face intervention as someone nominating me for "What.Not.To.Wear" the short answer is yes. We are willing to take certain steps into the world of assisted reproduction. The complex issue of saying how far...well it isn't completely solidified.
Let me preface these thoughts with the disclaimer, that these are choices that my husband and have considered for US - its personal and stems from many different pieces of our puzzle. Even if we don't plan to take certain measures, it does not in anyway mean that I think doing so is a bad idea for other people.
We are willing to go through basic fertility testing. We are willing to use oral medication. I would probably be willing to undergo procedures to fix physical problems if any are found that can be repaired. Injectible medications? We aren't sure, but probably not, with the exception of HCG triggers if necessary. As of right now, the farthest we have agreed to go is IUI, however my DH and I differ on just how many times we'd try with that method.
Why not IVF? Well, it is a mixture of many things. First of all, DH only wants one more child. IVF dramatically increases the chance of multiples (injectible medication with IUI does too, of course). The next issue deals with the embryos - I have no idea what we would do with any leftover embryos, and that is something that is very complicated in my mind and I don't want to deal with it. Our belief about life beginning at conception definitely plays a part in this discussion for us. Then, on top of all of that there is the cost. We have no coverage for assisted reproductive technology. Some tests/procedures might be mostly covered as diagnosing/treating physical problems, but certainly not fertility drugs, IUI procedures or IVF.
We are still considering things. We might change our minds. We might stop shorter or go father. I don't know. When? When do I plan on getting this ball rolling? I had said January earlier. With work schedules starting to change from my expectations, it might end up being March though. I reserve the right to change my mind.
Speaking of my mind - it is not acting normally for me right now. I took an HPT on Friday and it was a dud. No lines at all. First time that has happened to me, and I've peed on quite a few. Since then, I haven't been my test-happy self, and have not peed on any more sticks. I'm just biding my time and waiting for the old hag to show up. I feel her lurking, I'm just not seeing her yet. Tap, tap, tap, t-t-tap, tap, tap, tap....That's me - waiting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm glad you didn't mind my question - I can be awfully nosey sometimes! Sounds like you have a plan and I hope things work out for you and your family. I'll be thinking of you!
Post a Comment