Monday, September 14, 2009

To Pee or Not to Pee

The time has come where I need to grasp the bull by the horns and really work on being consistent with pottytraining. Oh we've dabbled. We've encouraged, we've sung, we've rewarded. We've done so when it has been convenient for us. Um yeah, but you who have been there all know, potty training is not really compatible with convenience. I'm getting it, or rather finally acknowledging what I knew all along, but tried to ignore.

I have had all these great excuse lines. You've read them here. I've said that I needed to wait until I was certain she could express her need to go, so my in-laws would have time to get her to the potty (they move slowly). I've said that I just need a long weekend to stay home and focus on it. I've said that we were just adjusting to all of the change in our family this summer.....yada yada yada. Avoidance. Procrastination. Excuses.

And you know, in writing this post I realized something about myself. I've been saying I'm not really doing something, but all the while I've been doing it - though maybe not as well as I'd like. "I'm not really pottytraining yet." Oh and "I'm not really trying to conceive yet." Do you see a theme here? What am I afraid of? Why can't I just commit to these major undertakings, and admit when things aren't going well? Am I concerned that I'll be labled a failure? Am I afraid of dedicating myself to something and still not achieving success, and is that driving me to "test the waters" first? Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

Yikes. This is turning into an entirely different post than I set out to quickly write this morning, merely because it's been a week since writing last. I need to mull this over some. Or maybe, just maybe, my self-analysis is just a bit to scary for blog posts.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

We trained when convenient. I am just too lazy not to. Plus I never wanted to put that pressure on him. Eventually it just clicked with him. They say boys are harder than girls. As long as you don't mind cleaning up pee puddles and the occasional poo out of underwear it's not too bad.
Don't be so hard on yourself.