I am so very thankful that I have a mom and a mother-in-law that are both wonderful people who are not only good mothers, but good grandmothers and seem to do well at striking the right balance between their two roles. I may not always agree with them, and we we may not always have the same approach, but I never feel like they try to undermine me as a parent. I know I'm very lucky to be blessed with them in my life.
Right now I'm sick. I'm really sick. I'm still working though, because it is that time of year and that's what we have to do. We push through it unless we are really dying. It's the nature of the job - and so many other jobs out there. It matters what time of year it is. You might take a day off for a bad headache in June, but in peak tax season you better be in the hospital, or at work.
My mom saw how sick I was and knew I had to function at work, regardless. Rather than being like some, who would say I chose my career and made-my-bed-so-lie-in-it kind of thing, she offered to help. She went out of her way to pick up B yesterday, so that I could leave work and go home and rest for a bit. She fed her dinner, played with her for an hour and brought her home at 7:30, so I had a full two hours for rest rather than running around. In the past, my in-laws have offered to keep B later and bring her home to me as well for the same reason. I hate to give up my B time, but I also have to get better or I'm of no use to anyone. I appreciate them not only understanding that, but helping me to see it too.
It is so nice to know that our moms are there to back us up when we have no energy reserves to pull from. They may not have much money, but they have so much love and they share it in ways that make a real difference in the lives of those they care about. I hope that some day, I'll make that kind of difference in B's life too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You make me miss my mommy! I'm glad you realize how lucky you are.
Post a Comment