Saturday, February 14, 2009

The bargain of my dreams was not to be

I have several hours to myself today. Myself. Alone. I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed such a treat. I went shopping at Marshalls this morning, hoping to score a cute, cheap pair of dark brown heels. I found a pair of Franco somethings but they were still $30 and I wasn't sure I could pull off the look. They were a little too high fashion for this conservative girl.

I did what I used to love to do. I hit every clearance rack in the store, searching for a treasure, and oh the wonder I found. I found a dark brown, tailored leather jacket by Jones New York supposedly the regular retail price was $500. It was normally $249.99 at Marshalls and it was at final clearance for $39.99. There was a small line of something that needed to be cleaned off the inner left sleeve, but it was in otherwise wonderful shape. Beautiful, classic lines and smooth, soft leather and just my style. The size? Small. The let down was rough. Being the nice girl that I am, I called two friends whom I thought might love it, but neither answered.

It was the deal of the century that was just not meant for me to capture. I'm just terribly sad about it. There are no words. Just a void inside that only such a glorious jacket at that fabulous price will ever fill.

What did I buy? A pair of black, open-backed, square-toed pumps by Aerosole for $15, a really cute plum wool swing cardigan for $7, a Jones New York pencil skirt with inverted kick pleats for $5 and black stretch cami for $7. Oh and a pair of yoga pants for my MIL for $2. Grand total was $39 and change after tax -which I would have rather spent on that jacket.

No comments: