Tuesday, August 03, 2010

World Breastfeeding Week

So as you've probably already seen on various blogs or sites, it is World Breastfeeding Week. Those of us who have nursed are encouraged to share our stories and support new or potential new breastfeeding moms.

My labor was easy, my delivery was not. After I delivered (oh and the 90 minutes of really fun sewing up afterwards), the doctor put me on a pitocin drip for 8 hours to help my uterus contract down as it was "boggy" after pushing for over 3 1/2 some hours. It was no big deal, and wasn't painful for me except for one little thing - where the IV was placed. The IV was in the crook of my left arm and so I could not bend it to cradle my baby or to support my breast. I am a terrible stick and it took them an hour and 8 or 9 attempts, including three from the IV team to get one in me at all, so I was not about to ask them to move it.

My first nursing sessions did not just involve Brooklynn and I, but Brooklynn and I and some wonderful helpers who either held her in the right spot, or held my breast where it needed to be for B to latch. Robyn, Krista and Annette all helped me get those first sessions going and keep them going. I am thankful for that.

Nursing was not hard for me, though it was awkward. I'm not a graceful person and I had a little bit of trouble finding a comfortable position and supporting the weight of my ginormous (36L) breasts and holding an infant at the same time. At first, I could only successfully use the football hold. I think that might have lasted a few months even. Later, I grew more skilled and comfortable and was able to breastfeed lying down, using other holds and even leaning over a car seat with B safely strapped in her seat while riding down the highway. When she was at my breast, I was always at peace. I will treasure those moments forever.

Pumping was an altogether different story. It was frustrating, hard, and downright infuriating. I'm sure my stress did not help, but I was a terrible pumper. I am also stubborn though, and so I pushed on. Pumping never really got better for me, but it was a necessary evil if I wanted to maintain enough milk to keep nursing while I was at home since I returned to work so early in our nursing relationship. I pumped while working full time from the time B was 6 1/2 weeks until shortly after her first birthday. I never dreamed I'd make it that far, but each day I committed to the next and so on.

Surprisingly, I had enough milk to nurse on demand while at home for 11 months past the time I weaned off the pump. I nursed my daughter for just over 23 months. I feel very blessed to have experienced that time with her. I hope those nursing days were not my last, but if they end up being so, at least I have no regrets concerning them.

I'm always happy to answer questions about how I managed to pump and work. I am very grateful to friends of mine who shared their experiences with me and I love to be able to share that same gift with other new moms who are thinking about how that might work for their situation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Krista, I know you from way back on WebMd. I still follow your blog. Thanks for your story about nursing. I am 27w1d pregnant and I am excited about nursing my little girl. I am very nervous and really want this to work. Thanks again for sharing and congrats on the new house!!

Paula