Tuesday, August 24, 2010

All Mixed Up

We've been "living" in our new house since Friday night, but basically we've been running back and forth and back and forth and back and forth for two weeks now. It's been quite crazy with lots of different emotions.

We had some great friends and family around to help, and a few lazy relatives to just stand there and look stupid. If they weren't related, I would have just yelled at them to go home. Our niece sat in her room and unpacked only her stuff, while the whole house was filled with boxes which just pissed me off. I mean it is common sense to unpack common areas first, or at least make them livable and then move to more private rooms. Whatever. Overall though, we had some great people at our sides making Friday and Saturday much more productive and fun, even if they were stressful. I am so very thankful for them.

We are still cleaning up both old homes, but pretty much all of the must-haves are in the new house and unpacked. I still need to put away and organize my clothes. Pictures and art still need to be hung, but the things that make it "home" are in place. I still appreciate the space and light in the new house, even with all this stuff in it. It really is so nicely laid out, and the built in storage is impressive. I have never had much storage, so this makes my heart happy.

Pool. Well we apparently have to make and post pool rules. I came downstairs on Sunday morning to find all these toys and floats IN the pool. Two balls were in the skimmer blocking the flow to the pump. Then we found out that one of our nephews had also messed with the jet flange that pointed the water stream in a counter-clockwise direction around the pool, back to the skimmer. It was just pointing down and so wasn't working right. It seems that it should be common sense to not mess with stuff and to put all toys back up on the deck, including all balls and little things. Nope. We have to spell it out. If they don't comply, no more pool for them. These things may seem little, but they really can harm the pool.

Hopefully later this week I'll get some pictures of how things are starting to come together. It's been a journey and I hope I'll have more joys than frustrations in this multigenerational home.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I think having clear cut "rules" for the pool and even the rest of the house is a great idea...that way no one will have to be the bad guy except the "rules". And it will keep everything the way it needs to be! Good luck!!! Enjoy the house!!!!!

Krista said...

Glad to hear you are pretty much moved in. I have been thinking about you. It's still weird to think you don't live where we grew up anymore! I want to come visit soon...I have unlimited free time on my hands now that I DON'T have the job I thought I had. Call me when you get a chance and I can explain (VENT) the details. You aren't gonna believe it.