Tuesday, January 05, 2010

My first non-tax season

This is the first time in 10 years that I'm not sitting here on January 5th saying "Here we go..." gearing up for a new tax season. While the last three seasons I worked were much shorter on hours, the work and stress level felt the same and then there was the mother's guilt. I have blogged about this before and I'm sure there were even more posts than that one. Oh the guilt. It took its toll on me.

This year I still have some very important tax deadlines to meet for our clients. I just sat here and thought about it and I'm probably going to need to come in on a few saturdays to meet those. BUT I don't feel the guilt. I feel the stress of impending deadlines, but that will be there with most any job I'd ever take. I don't feel like I'm not being a team player though, and I don't feel like I'm not pulling my weight. I'm getting the job done, and I'm doing it well, while still spending as much time with Busy B as I did before. I'm satisfied with how things are. It appears I made the right change at the right time.

I still miss public accounting though. I have to confess I do. It seems totally illogical, but it was such a part of my life, and overall, I did enjoy the work. I got an email from the guy the firm hired today. He has my old extension. He sits at my old desk. He works with my old clients, or some of them at least. It made me feel strange. I don't really know why - it just did. I know life moves on and work goes on. This week alone, I've gotten two calls from former clients with questions though. They still feel most comfortable with me. Maybe it is that connection to them that I really miss.

No comments: