I was going to post a long whiny post about how my husband surely has seasonal depression and is driving me nuts. Just as the post was underway and really gaining momentum, I got an email from him apologizing for pretty much the whole weekend. So the post isn't really a good one anymore. So the only other thing that really happened over the weekend involved my food issues.
If you know me in real life, you probably know I have some strange food issues. There are two major classes of these, but they encompass a lot of common food items.
- Class 1 - Texture. This is really just me being picky. I admit it. I cannot stand most things creamy. The thought just makes me gag. This means I will not eat, to name a few, whipped cream, sour cream, mayonnaise, butter, most salad dressings, cream-based sauces/soups, cream cheese or any other soft cheese, yogurt, pudding, custards....There are more I'm sure. Pretty much the only exception to this rule is something frozen like ice cream or frozen yogurt. If it gets melty, forget it.
- Class 2 - Meat. I have absolutely no mental/emotional objections to beef or pork. My body however does. Ever since I was kid, eating beef or pork (more than a very small amount) would result in at least 24 hours of terrible digestive upset. When I was about 9 years old, I spent the night at Stacey Brown's house and ate pepperoni pizza (which I love). I spent the whole night getting sick - her poor mother taking care of me. After that, I pretty much stopped eating beef and pork. I can eat about one piece of sausage, one hot dog, two strips of bacon or a few pieces of pepperoni in a given day without punishment. Any more than that, and I will pay for it dearly. Beef is worse than pork.
So you see, the two above rules limit my food choices quite drastically because those ingredients are in so very many dishes. Most of the time, if I can't order my own food, then I don't eat much. I've grown used to it. I don't expect people outside of my immediate family to know this and plan for it. Its my problem, not theirs.
This weekend, John brought a pizza home from a hole-in-the-wall pizza place about 20 minutes away that we really love. I was starving. I opened the box and there is a pizza covered in pepperoni. He had ordered it half and half, but they had made it wrong. This place has the BEST pepperoni. It is so spicy and crisp. For the first time in YEARS I ate more pepperoni than I should have. Piece after piece went into my mouth and then I looked at my plate in horror. I paid for it. I was once again reminded, it is not worth it. I will not do this to myself again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ugh - sorry you got so sick. I had to chuckle at your first food adversion - this is my husband and I can never understand what his issue is with creamy stuff. He just won't touch it!
Post a Comment