Thursday, May 08, 2008

I'm So Stressing

We decided (before the dental issues came up) to invest all of the economic stimulus rebate and then some into our 2001 Jeep Cherokee with the hopes that it would continue to be a good car for us for the next 5 years or so. We've never had any maintenance done on the Jeep with the exception of oil changes, new tires and one set of new brakes that John put on. It now has 120K miles on it and it needs quite a bit of work to bring it back up to par - to the tune of $2,100. So our Jeep is in the shop getting that done.

Last night John received a call from his parents who said that it felt like something on their van's brake just broke. They wanted John to come look at it this morning. After we scurried around so that I could use my mom's car and John could take mine, John has gone over there with B to check it out. Did I mention he's only had 4 hours sleep? He tells me on the way over that if that van dies, we have to buy them a vehicle. ---WE---.

I know they have no money and I know they watch our kid. I know they are his parents and he owes them for all the years they cared for him. I know that. I just can't see how we can make the budget work to keep up with our financial goals and obligations with buying a car for them. He has said before we need to pay to put up a more secure fence aroudn their yard too, since B will be playing there and two pit bulls live next door. (She could put her fingers through the existing 4 foot chain link - or worse, maybe they could jump it if motivated enough.) It's not that I'm not compassionate. It's not that I don't care. I just see meeting the needs of my own family first as being my priority. Am I selfish? Maybe so.

I'm so stressed out about this!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would feel the same way. Just because they watch THEIR grandchild and raised their kids doesn't warrent you guys buying them a car or a fence. Don't you pay them for watching Brooklynn anyways?

I know John is just trying to do the right thing, but I agree with you that YOUR family should come first. If you have leftovers, by all means help them out.

Maybe I am just being selfish too, but that is how I feel.

Kaci said...

You're definitely not selfish. I don't believe children owe their parents for all the years they spent caring for us. I will do whatever I can to help my parents when/if they need it, but I don't think I would ever want my children to think they owed me, at least in a financial sense. I hope the van isn't broken so that it doesn't cause an issue. :)