Friday, February 29, 2008

Adventures in having a babysitter

Ack! I’m leaving my baby with teenagers tonight. They are surely some of the best teenagers in the world – our nieces Jenny and Helen who are 17 and almost 15, respectively, but still – teenagers! I’ve only ever left Brooklynn with John’s parents or my parents. This is new territory for me and I admit, it is a little scary. John and I are going to a fish fry to raise money for our nephews’ football program. Jenny canceled something else to be free to watch B, so I couldn’t very well tell her no. We just scheduled the time so I could be back to put her to bed at a reasonable hour since B gets cranky if I’m not the one to put her to bed. I didn’t want the girls to have to deal with that.

I know is terrible, but I’ve only left B a handful of times, outside of going to work. I just hate to leave her. I’m away from her all day. I miss her and I want to spend time with her as much as I can. I’m trying to work up to leaving her overnight in July for our 10th anniversary. John wants to go for the whole weekend, but I’m not sure I’ll be ready for that. Any tips and such would be appreciated.

Brooklynn’s new word is “Outside” she says it as clear as a bell and pats the door, so you know she knows what she’s saying. It is so very cute. She has also become a billy goat. She climbs and climbs with no fear. She climbs furniture. She has tried to climb the baby gate. She climbs on top of anything she can grab hold of. I just know she is going to end up in the ER. If you tell her, “Brooklynn Grace Saul, you sit down!” – no matter how sternly she smiles devilishly and keeps on doing what she’s doing. She has also begun pitching a fit when she does not want to get in her car seat. She braces herself and will not let you bed her into a seated position. It can take several minutes of wrestling and admonishment before getting her into it when she does not want to be there. I’d say it happens once a day. This girl is definitely going to be a challenge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryson is right up there with Brooklynn! He is climbing on everything and throwing temper tantrums when he is told no or is made to do something he doesn't want to (riding in the shopping cart, getting buckled in the carseat, etc.) If you're lucky, you'll get to see a live meltdown when we get together next weekend! I bet you can't wait! Maybe I should bring some earplugs for both of us! But wait, then we wouldn't be able to hear each other. Who am I kidding! If the kids are screaming, we won't be able to hear anyway! Can't wait to see you!

nancy said...

Good for you to work towards leaving her. I don't want to see you on Nanny 911 in a few years, okay?