Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Life next to the Looney Bin

Okay, so I mentioned awhile back that SIL wanted to reconcile and you know I've seen the kids a few times. Nothing has been discussed, no apologies made (well she did apologize to my mom), no fingers pointed, no excuses given...etc. Everyone has just resumed speaking and being relatively sociable. John and I are fine with that. We don't think anything good can come from discussing the situation because we know she's nuts and will never admit that she was at fault.

She has been so strange. She has bought things for Brooklynn. She makes a point to mention when she does that its not pink, since I don't like pink. She explains why she has bought said item like 10 times in 2 minutes. She asks "If that's okay?" about every third sentance.

She thinks I'm crazy for several reasons: I'm not giving Brooklynn juice and don't plan to make it a regular part of her diet in the future, Brooklynn has no shoes and has never worn shoes (because she hates to have things on her feet and concentrates on taking socks off like it's her job), I don't put bows or headbands on Brooklynn (Because she has no hair, so what is the point? - Also I think those headbands that look like garters are just silly, but that's just me.) and apparently it is odd that pink isn't my favorite color.

It was practically intolerable for her that I didn't have Brooklynn wear shoes to my cousin's wedding. She was dressed the same as the other 3 girls, but had just fancy socks (which stayed on for a short time) instead of tights and shoes. Now I thought she was convinced that the girls should look the same - though Brooklynn and my youngest niece were not actually in the wedding. I arrive at the wedding to find that she has tiaras on all 3 of her girls heads though. She also managed to have the photographer take a picture of just her 3 girls on the church stage, when I wasn't even photographed at all, when I was the guestbook attendant and reception hostess. Oh and she took the liberty of buying a gift for the littlest niece, since she knew that the other children would receive gifts for being in the wedding. She wrapped it and gave it to my cousin to give to her. Not one word about Brooklynn. Not that Brooklynn knew any different....I'm just whining I guess. It's the principle of it, you know?

Okay now for the real shocker. So I know she is a control freak and she much prefers my aunts to give her money so she can buy and wrap birthday or Christmas presents for her children that suit her taste. She then makes it a point to say to the aunt "This is what you bought" as the child opens the gift during the party. So everyone knows that she picked it out. I never pay much attention to this. I just shop and buy what I think the kids will like. I've done pretty well, actually, though now that my nephew is getting older I give him gift cards or cash because I know he combines them with other gifts to get pricier items that are otherwise out of my (and other relatives) gift budget. I've only bought one repeat gift. Last year one child liked my gift, but SIL did not. Well two birthdays are coming up and the invitation states that they are registered at Target. WHAT? Did I read that right? Yup. They are registered for birthday gifts. You don't have to buy the gifts at Target. You can print the registry out and shop wherever you'd like. Oh and please use the same registries for christmas shopping. Where did the fun and joy of gift giving go? Who does this?

Oh and by the way, I've decided that a cute theme for Brooklynn's first birthday party would be pink M&M's since we announced our pregnancy with the blue and pink M&M's. I'm looking for cute ideas on decorations and cakes. Please let me know if you have seen anything or send me links or ideas. --Yes I'm sure I'm going to hear all about me not liking pink with this theme....I don't hate pink, I just like other colors better. I do buy pink things for B and for me from time to time.....ugh...

No comments: