Friday, July 22, 2011

Bandwagon

Okay so if you know me, you know of my addiction. It's not a dirty little secret. It's been out there for all to see. I am addicted to Diet Coke. I have been for years. When TTC for B, I never allowed myself to have more than 1 or 2 cans a day and some days I didn't have any. The same was true of my nursing days. When I was pregnant I drank maybe 2 a week on average. When nursing and pregnancy were over, I resumed my 2 a day most days protoco.

About 2 years ago, I let things get out of control. I'd drink 2 at work and 1 or 2 more at home, every single day. Special days like picnics and holidays - even more! I tried rationalizing it. I don't drink as much as some people do (MIL)....I still drink water and lots of it....I don't smoke, take drugs and rarely take medications....This is my vice. Plain old excuses is what that amounts to.

One doctor that MIL saw in her 3 weeks of hospital stay told her that she needed to give it up, or at least drastically reduce the number of diet sodas she was drinking. While in the hospital, she reportedly did that by drinking one 7.5 ounce little can at each meal of diet coke (but I think she had some diet sprite/sierra mists in addition). I admit I have my doubts, but I really hope she can keep this up at home - both for her and the rest of us too. We want to keep her around as long as possible, obviously, but also I personally tend to do better with limiting it when it isn't in front of me all of the time too.


I have been pretty successful with drinking two cans a day of diet soda period since the recommendation was made to MIL. Some days I have had no diet coke and drank some other variety. Today, I fell off big-time already though. I stopped and got a 32 ouncer on the way in and chased it with another can poured over the remaining ice. ACK! I have got to stop this. I say to myself, yet as quickly as I do that, here come the "buts." BUT the 32 ouncer was mostly ice since I filled the cup right up (hello it is HOT here). BUT I have a headache (weather or my own fault for withdrawal from soda???). BUT....But what? I need to get back on the bandwagon.

Where's my water bottle?

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Ahhh diet soda...my achilles heel!!! I try to drink water only at home andr work and only have pop at restaraunts. Its sad bc im more excited about my diet coke than my meal HAH. good luck!

Annette said...

I am right there with you on needing to stop drinking some much Diet Coke. My air in my office has been broke all week so this is not the week that its going to happen. LOL.

jenny from mommin' it up said...

I Need to stop drinking REGULAR soda...but...