I am no reviewer, but I have to share my unsolicited endorsement of this seat: http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/parkway-sgl
I'm a fan of keeping a kid in a five point harness as long as possible, or at least until the kid is kindergarten age. I am. I know some don't agree, and think it is silly. I know some switch their kid to a belt-positioning booster before they are even 4 and 40 pounds. My niece was 5 and 48 pound when she slipped out of her belt-positing booster in an accident. She went under the lap belt and came out - this is called submarining. Who knew there was a technical term for this? This scares the pee out of me.
As a direct result, we bought the Br.itax Fr.ontier for our cars. This harness can be used until 100 pounds - or a certain height which escapes me. It can be converted to a belt-positioning booster after that up to 120 pounds. In OH we have to keep kids in boosters until they are at least 8 years old and at least 80 pounds. Busy B fits nicely in this seat and the seat has great design features. It is also pricey though, and a big, heavy seat.
The time had come to replace the seat in the van my in-laws drive. With their arthritis, the five point harness was getting hard on their hands, so I had considered using one of the fr.ontiers as a belt positioning booster, then I saw that Br.itax has updated their Par.kway booster model. Cue angelic music.
The PW is not a five point harness seat. It is only a belt-positioning booster designed for kids at least 4 years old, 40 pounds and 38 inches tall. It has some great features that other "plain" boosters just don't have though.
* It secures in your car via latch (assuming your car has latch - models 2003 and later are required to). That means that if you have an accident and your kid is not in the seat, with the seat belt buckled, the seat won't go sliding or flying around in your car. It is secured into the vehicle whether the seat belt is engaged or not. The Br.itax version of latch is also really great and easy to use. This was not a part of the older model.
* It also has se.cure gu.ard -which is a little clip that adds a point of contact to the seat between the kid's legs - preventing that whole possible problem of submarining. It is super easy to use and makes me feel much safer about a belt-positioning booster. (This feature can also be purchased for the pricier/heftier fr.ontier.)
* It can be reclined slightly.
It's cup holders kind of suck compare to the fr.ontier, but are comparable to most other plain boosters I've seen. It can also be used as a backless booster for bigger kids - up to 120 pounds. This model - SGL - has been on sale a few places online for $119.99, normally $149.99. I think it is well worth the money.
No asked me to post this. I bought both car seats discussed here with my own cash. I just love it so much, I had to share. I'm a safety geek when it comes to car seats, and the innovation used on this seat impressed me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment