Friday, December 07, 2007

If 40 is the "New 30" what does that make 30 now?

Well folks, I’m officially 30 years old. Brooklynn gave me a lovely gift basket with Bath and Body Works Cherry Blossom products and a book about mothers from the perspective of their daughters. Quite nice, so John did good. The start of a new decade has made me think about where I was in my 20’s and how much and yet how little things have changed. I don’t feel old, and I don’t mourn the loss of being able to say I’m 20 something. Age is a number and it doesn’t affect who you are as much as your attitude and experiences do.

Ten years ago today I was 20, in college, engaged, planning a wedding, and working at the mall in Lerner. I had never owned a dog. I was on a mission to lose weight before my wedding day. My brother and SIL were pregnant with their first kid. John’s brother and SIL were pregnant with their 5th kid. I had a terrible roommate and was doing all I could to stay out each night so I didn’t have to see her. I had the last big asthma attack I can remember, probably because of working out in the lounge of my dorm, which was older than dirt and likely full of mold or something. I was just on the cusp of really becoming an “adult.”

Five years ago today I was 25. I was working in the firm I work at now. I had passed the CPA exam nearly a year earlier. I had 3 dogs (which are the same 3 I still have). I was married. My brother and SIL were expecting their 3rd child any day. I wasn’t even thinking about having kids, largely because I was focused on repairing my marriage. I had just had my last therapy session, to work through the abandonment issues. (John went through a quarter-life-crisis and had left me earlier that year and returned 3 weeks later.) I was fully into all the adult responsibilities and learning the ropes of balancing all the tasks that come with marriage, home ownership, a career and financial planning.

One year ago today I was 29. I was on the brink of the biggest job anyone ever undertakes – motherhood. My belly was round and full of an active baby girl. She had dropped, I was having contractions, particularly when shopping and I was just getting to the point where I was ready to stop telling her “don’t come just yet.” I was doing my best to tie up lose ends at work. My co-workers threw me a baby shower that day. My brother and SIL were not speaking to me and would not allow their 4 children to see me or speak to me either. Rudy's face was now gray, Roscoe had been through a back surgery, and Gwennie, well she was still the mighty huntress. John and I were happily married (and still are, of course) and were waiting for Brooklynn to enter our lives. We had come a long way since our marriage in 1998 and were ready to share our love with a growing family.

Today I’m happy and content with where most of things in my life are. Sure, there is room for improvement. I need to lose weight (again), save more money, and get more organized. My marriage and family mean the world to me. I’m still in awe of Brooklynn each day as she grows and learns. This morning as she was nursing, twice she paused nursing, looked right into my eyes, waved at me and when I smiled and waved back, she smiled and turned happily back to nurse. My heart was full. Life is good, and I will treasure these moments, because before you know it, it will be Brooklynn that is turning 30.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 30th Birthday!!!!!!!

nancy said...

How sweet is that?

Happy 30th birthday you youngin'!!!

Mommin' It Up! said...

THIRTY is the new AWESOME!