She said it and I missed it. I can’t believe she said it first, and I can’t believe I wasn’t there to hear it. John called me yesterday with Brooklynn in his arms and told me she had just said “ma-ma” – actually he said it was “mum-mum” and that it was plain as day. I normally pick her up in the late afternoon , but yesterday John did. She always looks around the corner for me when I come into my in-laws house. John came in and picked her up. She looked confused and looked around the corner and said “mum-mum.” He called me right away, but she hasn’t repeated it so far.
I asked John if she really said it, if he was sure. He said it was very clear, and that he wanted her to say “da-da” first, so the fact that he was admitting she said “mum-mum” despite that wish should tell me it’s true. I am thrilled of course. Being a mom that works outside the home full time, I have this deep, dark fear that she’ll love her pap more than me since he takes care of her all day. (While I know that is a rather stupid thing to worry about, I also know that pretty much every other good mom out there that works away from home feels the same way.) I even joked with my father-in-law that if she said “pap” or “papaw” before she said “ma-ma” that he better keep it to himself, because if I found out – he’d be fired. Now my heart is full of joy and pride that she has said that glorious word.
Today is my 9th anniversary. We really won’t be celebrating as our house is in a state of disarray. All the furniture has been moved out of the living room and dining room and so the bedrooms and garage are packed with extra stuff. Half the floor is ripped up and the rest will be gone by this evening. Tonight the walls will be primed and Thursday and Friday John will be painting.
Thankfully Brooklynn is sleeping better. I, however, am not. Last night I woke up and could not get back to sleep because John was snoring like a weed-whacker. So I did what any loving wife would do, and shoved a pillow over his face. It worked like I charm and laid there feeling all smug about the restored peacefulness. Just as I snuggled into the bed to go back to sleep the silence was broken. Apparently if you cover up their mouth – sound (and stink) will just burst forth from the other end.
I guess I better stop blogging, though I’m still on cloud nine, and begin my workday.
PS – Annie and Mel I’m so glad you both check in still – please send me an email and let me know how you are doing.
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Krista-
I've been "stalking" you and reading your blog on and off since WebMD. My son is one month younger than your daughter. I haven't read your entries in awhile, but it’s fun to read them and see what I have to look forward to.
Elsie
Hi Krista,
I am not sure if you remember me, I used to "see" you on the TTC 6 months+ board on WebMD. Just wanted to say hi and tell you what a doll Brooklynn is! She is really growing up! We were blessed with a BFP too after 14 months of trying and our little girl Ella just turned two months on July 17. I enjoyed stalking your blog and comparing milestones as I went along in my pregnancy and now that she is here! Take care.
Emily
Post a Comment