It happened. I hurt my own beloved daughter. I was squatting down to pick something up while holding Brooklynn on my hip. She reared her head and I lost my balance and tipped over knocking the side of her head into the edge of the coffee table. The knock sounded so loud to my ears and boy did she scream. I was horrified and so scared that I immediately began to cry as I looked her over and tried to cuddle her. I nursed her and she calmed down immediately so I could get a better view of the damage. A red line on her head about 3 inches long about 3 inches above her ear had appeared.
I called our nurse practicioner at home. I explained what had happened to her to see if she thought we needed to go to the ER, though she seemed fine within 10 minutes of the accident. She told me to try and relax and understand that while the knock sounded loud, it was likely about the same force that she'll probably experience when she is 12 months old and knocks into something toddling around. She reassured me that I had not caused brain damage to my baby and that while she may get a bruise from this, that she will be fine. She told me what to look for, just in case, and said to call her back if I needed to.
I felt a bit better after that, but still feel like an inept mother. I'm her mommy and I hurt her. It tore my heart up to see her crying, knowing I had caused the pain. It seems like she is okay. I hope I didn't scar her for life.
On a lighter note, I learned one upside to these darn big boobs which make far less milk than my less endowed peers. I discovered that while it is not comfortable, I can actually breastfeed my daughter while she is secured in her car seat in a moving vehicle. Will I do it often, probably not, but it works in a pinch when she throws a fit.
Sunday, June 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Okay, first before I keep laughing - POOR little miss B! I know how much it sucks when you first hurt your own child on accident. (and then later on, when in the terrible twos and threes, you'll just WISH for an accident like that again ;-) ) Was this the first "emergency" call you've have to make? It's amazing how tough these little ones are. When Ella was learning to walk, she tripped over the hose on the back patio and faceplanted into the cement. Oh God, I can still hear the sound it made. And apparently, mouth wound bleed a lot and it's "no big deal" which was what the nurse told me, although it WAS a big deal to me!
Man, I get off topic.
Brooklynn. Did you take a picture of the first booboo? http://www.geocities.com/nleisher/album/2005/0205.html The top (R) picture shows Ella's.
Okay, now for the laughter about the boobs in the carseat comment. We took Ella to Grandma/Grandpa's house to Wyoming (4 hours) pretty early on and I also had to do the nursing in the carseat thing (the comfort nursing, not feeding) but I have (had!) teeny boobies and I had to literally hover over her as I had both hands on the front seats in front of me. Your ease of it make me remember all of that and cracked up this early morning. :)
Hope all is well Krista! The 6 month pics were delightful! Waiting on the stats from her appointment.
Goodness, I'm wordy. Okay, I'll stop.
Aw, poor little Brooklynn!! I'm sure she is fine now and it probably was much harder on Mommy than on her! Hugs though - I'm not looking forward to my little ones' first accidents.
And LOL about bf-ing in a moving car - I am WAY impressed!!
Love the 6 month pictures of Brooklynn - she is such a beautiful little lady!!!
Thanks ladies for your kind thoughts. You know every mom has to freak out over some things. This was our first emergency call - and I'm happy to report that B is still fine and I have yet to sprout a gray hair over it ***knock on wood***.
Hope both of you ladies' girls are doing well!
Post a Comment